Friday, August 12, 2011

Landlord controls heat, thermostat is downstairs in a barbershop. Help!?

I have been living in my studio apartment almost 3 years. I live in the Northern part of the United States. My apartment is cold, especially at night. Heat is included in my rent. The building I live in is old (100 years) and the landlord won't up date the heating system. The thermostat/boiler for the whole building is controlled by the barbershop downstairs. None of the apartments up here have a thermostat. Not even in the hallway. So while it may be nice and toasty downstairs, the tenants are freezing. The landlord knows this and doesn't do anything about it. The barbershop shouldn't have control of tenants heat. They constantly adjust the thermostat and it leaves us cold. When there place heats up, the boiler automatically shuts off when the temp downstairs is reached. Which leaves the apartments up here not warm enough. I just called him and he said to go downstairs and talk to the barbershop. Because he can't come up to turn up the heat. Thus has been pissing me off since I been here, along with other things. It is his responsibility to maintain the heat, not mine. I shouldn't have to go embarr myself by asking a place of business to turn on the heat. My hands are cold and so are my feet. The woman across the hallway has already complained about the heating situation and she has a young child who needs heat also. The landlord said he would call the business downstairs to check the thermostat. I may now have to use my space heater to get warm, but it raised my electric bill by 100 dollars last. This is totally unfair. Why would a landlord keep a thermostat downstairs in a hair salon where there is plenty of heat anyway. The salon is closed at night, while they go home to a nice and warm house. Please don't say move, because I don't have any money to move. What can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment